Friday, October 14, 2005

Darren Jiang/Nike Battlegrounds

Okay - so I am a little late on posting on this - in fact my boyfriend has all ready talked about it AND received love from Darren Jiang himself - but I do want to add my opinion on the whole Nike Battlegrounds subject myself.

First of all, you have to blame my boyfriend for getting me really into basketball. (Though in high school I was the stat keeper for the boy's varsity basketball team - but that was only because I could get out of gym class) He started getting me into college basketball about 2 years ago and I was so into the whole process of "March Madness" that I actually cried when the Kansas Jayhawks lost to Syracuse. Wept really. So, now I find myself yelling at the TV at basketball games and really rooting for those teams that I emotionally invest myself into.

I saw the last season of Battlegrounds - where players from Europe got pounded in one-on-one games with people from New York/Chicago/LA - it was far less watchable then the current concept. Also, being a New Yorker - you gotta root for people representing you.

Then there is Darren Jiang - who I immediately felt protective of when I saw him in the tryouts for the New York team. I thought that he was going to get the brunt of a physical game to get him out of the running - but the guy has definitely got heart and determination. I also have to say that his mom was really the funniest part of the episode that she was in - no one that hasn't had interaction with an Asian mom can appreciate her candor and total matter of factness about Darren playing basketball and potentially failing. She was very cute with his awards and showing off how proud she is of him - I thought it was very nice to include that within the edit of the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>