Thursday, March 11, 2004

Mother

I've been thinking about my mother a lot lately. It's almost the two year death anniversary of her death. It's still very surreal to me because my life is all ready so different and some days it feels like a million years ago. Of course, on other days it only feels like yesterday.

My mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer in December of 2000. My mother was, to state is simply, a workaholic. This meant that seeing a doctor was reserved for occasions like car accidents and severed limbs. She casually mentioned to me one night around Christmas that she had been having some problems and she finally saw a doctor about it. What she didn't mention was that she had been having these problems for about three months before she decided to see a doctor. But he found something and it was diagnosed as cancer. But she was going to do the radiation and chemotherapy and she was going to be fine. I took her word on it and just wrapped myself up in my life. She started chemotherapy and she told me how it made her feel and I tried to spend a little more time with her. She was postive she was going to get through it. So positive that she refused to even talk about what would happen if she didn't. I would ask where she kept some general documents I might need if something happened to her and she'd immedately get defensive and say "What you think I'm going to die, right?"

Around his time two years ago, my mother was beginning to lose her battle with cancer. She had all ready went through two rounds of chemotherapy with no positive results. She continued to work at her job all through her chemotherapy and radiation treatments. She actually didn't stop working until she became to weak to even leave her bed which was only two months before she finally passed away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>