Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Amigos

So- my grandmother goes to an "adult day care" program three times a week. It's been the best thing for her - she feels like she has somewhere to go a couple of days out of the week, she makes friends (and enemies) and gets to talk to other people her age and in her language.

When grandma started the program - she was very excited and wanted to explain how great the program was. She sat me down and said "Oh! Too much people. Chinese, Japanese, American, Amigos....."

Somewhere in my grandmother's thirty years here in the US - she's gotten the impression that anyone of Hispanic heritage should be referred to as "amigo". Honestly, it's so damn funny to hear her say it - I have no idea how to correct her.

1 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. It inspired me to order a burrito and chips & guac from the Amigan place down the street. --Adam K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>