Monday, March 29, 2004

Etiquette for spa goers

Okay I really didn't want to have to do this but honestly if I don't rant here I may have to just explode. If any of you, dear readers, plan on going to any "spa related" establishments - please take in consideration the advice below before looking like a complete jackass.

1. Please do not yell at the person behind the counter because you have freed up 30 minutes in your precious schedule to treat yourself to a manicure and cannot be accommodated. You didn't make an appointment and other people have. You wouldn't believe what grown women are reduced to when they are told they cannot get a manicure appointment right this minute. Below is a typical conversation:

Woman: Hi, can I get a quick manicure?

Me: Oh, I'm sorry...we don't have anyone available right now but I could fit you in in about 30 minutes.

Woman: Really? It's just a manicure. What about a pedicure? Can I get a pedicure?

Me: Well..... Unfortunately, we only have three girls working and they are all doing treatments right now.

Women (voice is raised): Well, I don't have time to come back!

Me: I'm really very sorry. I just don't have anyone to give you a manicure or a pedicure at this minute but I can do both in 30 minutes.

Woman: Fine. (walks out and slams door)


2. Most of these women who scrub your feet, clean underneath your nails and rub the kinks out of your back work for tips. If you are happy with your treatment, it is generally customary to tip 15-20% of the cost of your service. So, if you get your legs waxed, a Brazilian wax, a pedicure and a manicure and you loved it - $5.00 isn't the best tip. It sucks.

3. No one wants to touch a dirty person. If you are going for a massage - shower beforehand. If you are getting a manicure - wash your hands before they start the work.

4. If you aren't happy with the service you've received - talk to the manager. You will,most likely, receive a free treatment or a refund if you aren't happy. Yelling at the person until they break down into tears isn't going to get you anywhere.

5. Turn off your damn cellphone. No one wants to hear about your personal life while they are trying to relax.

/body>